Rewind Episode #3: Mission Impossible
Classical Music Virtual Performances Rewind
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to explore 600 years of music—from Renaissance melodies to the well-known Mission: Impossible Theme.
Enjoy the Show
00:00 Ransom Introduces Rewind #3
06:46 Concert Begins
Did you enjoy the performance? Watch more virtual concerts on our website.
Watch and listen on the go by viewing more videos on YouTube and Facebook.
About the Episode
600 years of music are on display in this powerhouse performance from 2018. Enjoy the lively Renaissance melodies in Respighi's Ancient Airs & Dances. The Baroque elegance of Handel's Concerto Grosso. The wit of Haydn's Symphony No. 104.
We then move to two works by a modern master. Gene Pokorny, principal tubist of the Chicago Symphony, performs the world premiere of Lalo Schifrin's Tuba Concerto. Then we close our concert with Schifrin's most well-known piece: the thrilling theme to the hit television show Mission: Impossible.
- Handel: Concerto Grosso in G in D major, op. 6 no. 5 HWV 323 (read program notes)
- Haydn: Symphony No. 104 in D major, H. 1/104 (III. Menuetto & Trio — IV. Finale: Spiritoso) (read program notes)
- Respighi: Ancient Airs & Dances, Suite 1, P. 109 (read program notes)
- Schifrin: Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra (Gene Pokorny, tuba) (read program notes)
- Schifrin: Theme from Mission: Impossible (read program notes)
There's More Coming Soon...
To get notified when we publish more episodes of Rewind, join our newsletter. It's the best way to get updates about upcoming concerts, local music events, and first dibs at our sales and specials.
You can also find us on Facebook or subscribe to our channel on YouTube to get the latest news about what's happening next.
We hope you enjoyed this article! It was made possible through the generosity of music lovers just like you. Please consider helping us continue to bring you great content, including concerts and more, by making a donation to the Redlands Symphony.